In 2011 President Obama issued the first-ever Presidential Proclamation designating October as National Substance Abuse Prevention Month. During October we recognize the role that substance abuse prevention plays in promoting safe and healthy communities.
Because Oregon is leading the nation in prescription pain medication abuse, here some prevention tips for how to keep you and your family safe:
Set An Example
- Use drugs as the doctor intended.
- Don’t medicate today’s headache or sore muscles with a prescription drug medication your doctor gave you after last year’s surgery.
Stop the Myth
- Getting high with prescription and over thecounter medication is not safer than getting high with illicit street drugs.
- Inventory your medicine cabinets, kitchen cabinets, bureau tops or anywhere you may store medicines.
- If necessary, monitor the pill quantities and medicine levels in your prescription and over the counter drug containers.
- Put drugs away out of sight.
- If drugs in your house are left over from a previous condition, dispose of them as soon as possible in a safe and effective way.
Learn more about Prevention Month