Frequently Asked Questions

Top Adult Detox Questions

  • What is the admissions process?

    You must be at the De Paul Treatment Center located in downtown Portland at 1312 SW Washington St., by 8:00 a.m., Monday through Friday. Clients will be admitted on a “first come, first serve” basis along with individual medical triage assessment. There is no guarantee of being admitted, it is dependent of bed availability. No private insurance admits will be done on the weekend.

  • Is insurance required?

    Most insurance is accepted, including the Oregon Health Plan. For stimulant detoxification only Health Share of Oregon Insurance accepted. Please visit the De Paul website at for a list of accepted insurance. If your private insurance or live outside the Clackamas, Multnomah or Washington County areas you must call De Paul’s Access Center during business hours            Monday –Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at (503) 535-1151 for further screening before arriving at the facility.

  • How can I find out more?

    Call 503-535-1151 to speak with a De Paul Treatment Access Specialist.

  • Will I be allowed to smoke?

    As of February 1, 2020, De Paul is a tobacco-free facility. Smoking, chewing tobacco, vaping and other related products are not permitted. Smoking cessation services and adjunctive therapy through prescription of Nicotine Replacement Therapy are available based on an individual’s needs.

  • Will I be able to make phone calls or receive visitors?

    No phone calls or messages are allowed while in detox to prevent relapse triggers. You can make 1 phone call while you are having an integrated alcohol and drug assessment with a counselor present for support, which is typically on your last day.

  • View all Adult Detox Questions and Answers >

Top Adult Outpatient Questions

Top Adult Residential Questions

  • How do I contact De Paul?

    Please call our front desk at 503-535-1151, and they can direct your call to our admissions staff and answer other questions.

  • What if I change my mind?

    If you decide residential treatment is not right for you, your counselor will work with you, your family and/or referent on a plan for continuing in De Paul outpatient services.

  • Will I need detox?

    You may need medical detox prior to entering Residential treatment if you are currently using Alcohol, Opiates or Benzodiazepines. De Paul will do an initial screening either in person or over the phone to help determine if detox is necessary. De Paul currently offer detox services for Alcohol, Opiates and Stimulants. We also offer Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT).  De Paul does not offer detox services for Benzodiazepines.  De Paul can do referrals to several detox providers in the community depending on the individual’s needs and ability to pay or their insurance plan. In cases where there is no insurance, OHP, or ability to pay De Paul can refer to the community detox using a priority admit. Each case is individual and detox is something which will be addressed with each potential admit.

  • Are you based in 12-steps?

    De Paul is closely connected to the 12 Step community. Meetings are held onsite every day and clients are expected to attend meetings while in treatment. Passes may be used to attend 12 Step meetings at other locations in Portland

    De Paul treats individuals holistically looking at the mind, body and spirit. Our core curriculum is based on Motivational Interviewing, Dialectical Behavioral  Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Alcohol and Drug Education. We also have individualized curriculum choices  available so the individual can receive services which meet their specific needs. De Paul offers health and nutrition education, all within the umbrella of  Trauma Informed Care.

  • Can I make phone calls?

    Yes, you are allowed to make daily phone calls from the fifth day of treatment onwards.

  • View all Adult Residential Questions and Answers >

Top DUII Questions

  • How do I get started?

    Getting started is easy, just call De Paul’s Treatment Center Access team at (503) 535-1151 to schedule an appointment at either of our convenient locations.

  • What are the requiremnts for successful completion?

    It is important to remember that the program begins with an assessment and treatment plan developed around the needs identified in the initial assessment. Substantial progress on the treatment plan goals must be made before the counselor can successfully complete a client. This requirement exists apart from the following minimum requirements for most Oregon DUIIs:

    • Complete a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks of group sessions.
    • Complete 12 hours of alcohol and drug education groups.
    • Complete a minimum of 1 individual counseling sessions per month.
    • Conclude your program with at least 90 days of clean urine test.
    • Supply proof of attendance at a minimum of 12 community support groups.
    • Have a referral sent from the Alcohol and Drug Evaluation Services Specialist (ADSS) in the county where the DUII took place.
    • Pay any service fees in full.
  • Can I do my DUII Program at De Paul if my DUII was out of state?

    Yes, De Paul can help you satisfy the treatment requirements of your DUII no matter which state it occurred in. It will be your responsibility to provide any paperwork you have detailing the treatment requirements of the other jurisdiction, as well as contact information for the individual or agency that your progress reports will need to go to. For states that give broad discretion, De Paul will apply the Oregon state DUII requirements.

    We have two primary locations where DUII and outpatient services are available, Downtown Portland and Hillsboro, OR. Call (503) 535-1151 to schedule an appointment.

  • Does De Paul offer all Levels of Care (DUII, DUII education only, outpatient, residential and detox)?

    Yes, De Paul offers DUII treatment, DUII Information Only, Level I Outpatient treatment (one to three times a week), Residential treatment and Detox. De Paul Treatment Centers offers additional services provided by our master’s level counselors who can also address mental health issues. Evidence shows that participation in treatment services with family or other support persons can dramatically improve success rates. De Paul offers an array of family services for clients and their identified support persons.

  • Do I have to do drug tests during the Program?

    Yes, random alcohol and drug urine test are a required part of all state-approved DUII programs. You will be periodically tested for the duration of your treatment program, and all test conducted in the final 90+days of your program must be negative (i.e., clean) in order to successfully complete.

    It will be your responsibility to provide documentation for any prescription medications that could result in a positive urine test result.

  • View all DUII Questions and Answers >

Top Family Services Questions

  • Who should come to counseling?

    Anyone that is considered support, i.e., partners, friends, parents, siblings. Clients enrolled in services who are interested in engaging in family therapy will be referred to the family therapy department by their addiction counselor. They will complete a family therapy intake to consult about their interest in engaging in family services.

  • How soon can I be seen?

    When you call to make the first appointment, we will strive to get you in as fast as possible. Call 503-535-1151 to make an appointment.

  • What will Family Services look like?

    Our family services are individualized for each family and based on clients and their loved ones’ needs.

  • How much will this cost? Is it covered by insurance?

    We accept a variety of insurance plans. Our team of knowledgeable client services specialists will be available to discuss and help determine the cost of services.

  • How is “Family” defined at De Paul?

    “Family” is defined in many different ways. At De Paul, we accept that anyone who has significance in your life may be thought of as part of your family. Family therapy at DePaul

    Treatment Centers is designed to help by:

    1. increasing understanding of how chemical dependency is impacting both the substance user and his/her concerned significant others
    2. using strengths and resources to help all involved find and/or develop healthier, more satisfying ways to cope with the addictive behaviors of significant others.

    Your therapist views the family as a whole as the client. You and your counselor will discuss specific goals in relation to how you can create balance between individual and family needs.

    This will include creating family guidelines as a ground floor, on which all family members can stand and understand what is expected of them.

  • View all Family Services Questions and Answers >

Top Youth Residential Questions

  • How about physical activity?

    Physical exercise is an integral part of our treatment approach. The De Paul Youth & Family Center has a gym that provides an opportunity to improve fitness and strength under supervision from the staff. Every week we offer the “sport of the week” to build fitness and self-esteem while encouraging pro-social behavior and teamwork. Other outings may include hikes, movies, and cultural and sporting events. All outings are supervised by staff.

  • Tell me more about the alternative school.

    While in residential treatment clients attend our alternative high school which is accredited through Portland Public Schools. For those who choose not to work towards traditional high school credits we offer GED preparation and facilitate testing. If a client has already earned a GED or Diploma they can work on getting into/taking college course or another independent project. Our clients spend 4 hours per day in school in addition to treatment groups, individual sessions, family sessions, community activities and recreational activities.

  • Can you accommodate adolescents with mental health disorders such as ADHD, depression, PTSD, anxiety etc.?

    On our staff we have a nurse practitioner and a psychiatric nurse practitioner to provide health and mental health services. They are able to complete psychiatric evaluations and prescribe medications if necessary.

  • Who is the primary person responsible for my child?

    Each client is assigned a primary counselor and a family counselor with whom they meet weekly for therapy sessions. These counselors are also the primary contacts for families and referents once clients are enrolled in our program.

  • Will my child have passes to come home?

    As a client transitions out of the residential level of care they may be eligible for one 4-6 hour pass. Eligibility requirements include completion of all treatment work, academic work, family treatment plans, and compliance with De Paul rules.

  • View all Youth Residential Questions and Answers >